McKinley Advisors, a leading association consulting firm, is searching for a talented, driven candidate to join our consulting team. McKinley is a people-first company and a trusted partner to associations seeking insight, advice and ongoing support to accelerate their impact on the world. If you are a self-starter searching for an opportunity to expand your knowledge and maximize your opportunities to collaborate and drive positive change, we want to hear from you.
About the Role
Our senior consultants manage a portfolio of diverse, advanced projects and develop research-based strategies to help associations address challenges related to their growth and sustainability. Your initial projects will likely focus on strategic planning, governance, membership or member value and engagement. You will be responsible for providing the highest level of service to McKinley’s executive-level association clients, as well as managing cross-functional internal teams through project execution and preparation of deliverables.
As key representatives of McKinley, our senior consultants frequently work directly with association staff and volunteer leaders to facilitate conversations to advance their association’s mission. McKinley, now in its 25th year, has a staff of over 40 professionals and has seen strong growth in recent years. Our staff feel true ownership in the company’s direction and success. We continuously challenge ourselves to learn, improve and innovate.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- Advanced critical thinking skills, the ability to challenge assumptions and independently produce solutions and recommendations.
- Strong emotional intelligence and embodiment of McKinley’s core values.
- Aptitude in nurturing client relationships and deepening key accounts to identify future project opportunities.
- Ability to cultivate business opportunities through content creation, speaking engagements or attending industry events as a McKinley representative.
- Skill in navigating high-pressure situations with colleagues and clients.
- The highest standards of client service and accountability for quality assurance in deliverables.
- Effectiveness in managing teams (with both direct and indirect reports), providing frequent, clear and actionable feedback to team members.
- Potential for independent project leadership, guidance and oversight, including sensitivity to specific client and project needs and ability to customize approach accordingly.
- Resourcefulness to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of client work, acknowledging any existing knowledge or experience gaps and working collaboratively with colleagues to fill them.
- Strong communication skills including active listening, public speaking and the ability to develop client deliverables in both written and presentation formats
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications or similar field; given the complexity of the role, MBA is a plus.
- Mid-level association management or equivalent nonprofit consulting experience, including at least five years of success in project management, marketing or similar field with a high degree of visibility and impact.
- Ability to manage and deliver on advanced projects in a fast-paced environment often with tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated success as a facilitator and presenter to diverse groups.
- Market research familiarity, including collaborative survey design and analysis that generates recommendations to clients.
- Intermediate knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint; experience with survey tools, databases and/or business intelligence tools a plus.
At McKinley, we celebrate our staff, their ideas and their individuality. We bring together diverse, talented people to achieve their best work for our clients and each other. McKinley also offers excellent benefits and a progressive work environment that rewards creative thinking and hard work. Above all, our team takes pride in supporting one another and celebrating successes together.
- Human – Put people above everything else. Celebrate and support individuality.
- Honest – Lead with integrity. Act with conviction.
- Connected – Work together as a team. Take care of each other.
- Driven – Approach every day with intention. Show initiative.
- Curious – Embrace learning. Never settle.
Instructions for Applicants
If this sounds like the right fit for you, email your resume, salary history and a cover letter that briefly describes your qualifications relative to the requirements listed above to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “senior consultant” in the subject line and address the type of work you enjoy most and what interests you about this position in your cover letter.