Last Updated: July 22, 2022.
McKinley Marketing, Inc., DBA McKinley Advisors (“McKinley,” “we,” or “us”), works with client organizations that are associations and non-profits (“Clients”) to help them further their missions through strategy and innovation, organizational excellence, business transformation, and research and insights (the “Services”). We carry out the Services by different research methodologies including interviews, surveys, focus groups, research, and data analysis (“Research”). Since our Services necessarily involve a data-rich environment, it is important to us to respect your privacy and to care for the personal data that we collect.
When Do We Collect Your Personal Data?
We collect personal data when we,
- Conduct surveys,
- Conduct interviews,
- Conduct focus groups, or,
- Otherwise conduct research and analysis as a part of our Client Services.
- Note that we also collect personal data from our Clients as we carry out Services for them.
We also collect personal data when you,
- Register online for an interview, focus groups or survey,
- Take an online survey or participate in an interview or focus group, or
- Fill out a form for us.
What Personal Data Do We Collect and How Is It Obtained?
You or our Clients may provide us the following personal data:
- Contact details, including your name and email address, employer and job title
- Organization or association details, including your membership identification number, membership category (e.g., full member, associate member), tenure or membership status (years a member, whether a member), purchase and usage behavior (e.g., whether participated in programs, purchased products or services);
- Demographic characteristics, when available, including your education level, credentials (e.g., PhD, MD, etc.), and age; and
- Inquiry data that you submit to us about goods and services that are posted on our website.
When you correspond with us, register with us or respond to a survey, interview, or participate in a focus group, you may provide us the following data:
- Participation with the Client association or organization, such as whether you used the Client’s products or services and your member status;
- Opinion towards the Client association or organization, such as Client performance, your satisfaction with Client benefits, your preferences for benefits and services, and the value of Client membership;
- Perspective towards professional challenges and issues, such as your professional challenges and challenges facing the relevant field or industry;
- Personal demographic characteristics, including age, race, ethnicity, education, professional/career tenure, income, location (Note that we use an opt-in process to gather your explicit permission to collect this data); and
- Correspondence data, which may include both correspondence content and metadata associated with that correspondence.
- Benchmarking data, which may include details about your organization, its strategy, operations and process.
We may also collect the following information when you visit our website or use our survey platform:
- Location data, including latitude, longitude, country, city;
- IP address;
- Timestamp, i.e. the date/time the survey was accessed;
- Survey administration data, including completion status and unique identifier; and
- Other web server log data, including browser type, Internet Service Provider, referring or exit pages, files viewed on our website (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system, and clickstream data.
How Do We Use Personal Data?
- We use personal data to carry out our Services. When you respond to a survey, interview, or participate in a focus group, we analyze the data provided as a part of our Research and to help advise our Clients.
- We may use contact details to send email notifications, program updates and/or newsletters. Note that we will ask for your consent before sending you newsletters or other communications that may be considered marketing materials. You can opt out of the communications any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of every email.
- We use correspondence data to communicate with you and for record-keeping.
- We also may process personal data where it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another individual.
How Do We Share Personal Data?
- Suppliers and subcontractors may receive your personal data as reasonably required to help us to carry out our Services. This includes the platform that we use to conduct our Research.
- Legal obligations to which we are subject may require us to disclose your personal data. Such obligations include: protecting your vital interests or the vital interests of another individual and the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims in court or in an administrative proceeding.
- Clients generally do not receive the personal data that we collect in carrying out the Services. However, we may provide limited data, removing name and other individual identifiers, for research and analysis purposes. Clients may also receive notification that you participated in the research, but your identity will not be connected to your response or other opinion data. In certain cases, and only where we obtain your express consent, we may also provide certain personal data to clients. The types of personal data to be shared will be outlined in the related consent form. If you work for an association and participate in a benchmarking interview, we will ask for your permission and share the details of your interview, including individual identifiers, with our clients.
- In the event of a change in business ownership or structure, or if we undertake a reorganization (including, but not limited to, a merger or consolidation), or a potential sale of some or all of our business or assets, or there is an event of insolvency, bankruptcy, receivership or pledging of assets, or there is any other action or transfer between or among McKinley and its affiliates, collected personal data may be transferred along with the change in ownership or structure but the data will be treated in the same manner described here. In the event of any significant changes to the manner in which your personal data is handled, we will notify you.
Where Do We Store Personal Data?
We are headquartered in Washington, D.C., U.S. However, our suppliers and subcontractors may transfer and/or store limited personal data in locations outside the U.S. . In the event that your personal data is transferred from a country outside of the U.S. to the U.S., or to a third country, you consent to such transfer.
- Our website is hosted by HubSpot, which is situated in the United States.
- Suppliers and subcontractors, which are situated in the U.S. and India, may host certain personal data for their provision of services. This includes our survey platform, our cloud service provider, our email validation software, and our data collection and analysis vendors.
Note that any personal data that you submit for publication through our website or Services may be available, via the Internet, around the world. We cannot prevent the use (or misuse) of such published personal data by others.
How Long Do We Keep Personal Data?
We retain personal data only as long as is necessary to carry out the purposes for which it was collected. We also may retain personal data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations or to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another individual.
If you participate in a survey, focus group or interview with McKinley, we will hold your personal data for a period of three years. If you are an association professional and participate in a benchmarking interview with McKinley, we will hold your personal data for as long as necessary for business purposes. This policy applies to all data collected on or after July 22, 2022.
Is Your Personal Data Secure?
We understand that the security of your personal data is important. We have reasonable and appropriate administrative, technical, and physical security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of information that we have collected from you. While we use all reasonable efforts to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your data submitted through our website.
What Are Your Rights?
Under the law of some jurisdictions, you have the right to:
- Access the personal data that you provide us and that we maintain;
- Correct, update or delete that personal data that we no longer have business reasons for retaining;
- Restrict processing while we review any concerns you may have over the accuracy of the personal data we maintain;
- Object to
- Data processing based upon legitimate interests
- Data processing for research or statistics,
- Direct marketing, and
- Decisions based exclusively on automated processing, such as profiling, so long as the decision does not impact our ability to enter or perform our contract services for you or is not based on your explicit consent;
- Withdraw your consent in instances where we must have your consent to contact you; and
- Transfer, or port, your personal information that you provided us in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format.
If you reside in the European Economic Area and you have a dispute about how we are handling your personal data, you have the right to complain to a supervisory authority to enforce your rights. You can contact the supervisory authority in your jurisdiction. For your convenience, a list of authorities can be found here.
You can contact us at:
Mailing: McKinley Advisors
1227 25th St. NW, Suite 201
Washington, DC 20037
Use Of Services By Minors
Our website and Services are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13). McKinley does not knowingly collect personal data from such individuals and we request that they not provide personal data through the website. If we learn that we have collected or received personal data from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under the age of 13, please contact us at email@example.com.